SC - Payn Ragoun - 2 redactions

Lee-Gwen Booth piglet006 at globalfreeway.com.au
Wed Jun 28 12:14:56 PDT 2000

- ----- Original Message -----
From: Brangwayna Morgan

> Personally, because the recipe clearly states to use ginger and doesn't
> mention any other spice, I'd be wary of substituting others and saying it
was
> definitely period.  An adaptation of a period recipe, yes, but I can't be
> sure that it was ever made with cinnamon or nutmeg in period.

No, I do realise that I can't just add cinnamon and say "yup, medieval
cinnamon sweets coming up!"  I was asking if anyone on the List knew of a
period recipe for this which uses cinnamon rather than ginger.

I think that I will go ahead and make this without the nuts (because I pine
nuts are expensive, and because I need this stuff sooner rather than later
so I can't go and buy some - I am cooking at 5 am and planning to go to bed
at about 9 or 10 am to get a good "night's" sleep!).  I won't pretend to
anyone that it is actually completely period - promise!

Gwynydd