SC - Gingerbrede

Karen O kareno at lewistown.net
Tue Jun 27 16:41:55 PDT 2000

> I have just settled down to make gingerbrede, but I am now in a quandry.
I  have the version from the Miscellany which calls for 1 cup honey to 1 cup
breadcrumbs and I have the Pleyn Delit version which calls for 1/2 cup honey
to 1 lb breadcrumbs (which seems a bit excessive really!).  > Gwynydd

    When I make gyngerbrede,  I use about equal ratios of honey &  dried
breadcrumbs,  and always have a bit more  of breadcrumbs available.  I also
tend to slowly sift in the breadcrumbs while madly stirring the honey to
avoid lumps until the mess  er, mass is pulling away from the sides of the
thick saucepan.  (I add the spices to the hot honey before the breadcrumbs).
I pour /pat the mixture onto a buttered /papered cookie sheet and allow it
to cool.

    I tend to think about the liquid content of the honey & the humidity of
the day  -- that may influence your great vs  not-so-great  finished
product.  YMMV

Caointiarn