SC - Gingerbrede

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Jun 27 21:25:55 PDT 2000

Gwynydd asked:
> I have just settled down to make gingerbrede, but I am now in a quandry.  I
> have the version from the Miscellany which calls for 1 cup honey to 1 cup
> breadcrumbs and I have the Pleyn Delit version which calls for 1/2 cup honey
> to 1 lb breadcrumbs (which seems a bit excessive really!).  The previous
> time that I made this I used the Miscellany recipe and the result was good
> with the qualification that we couldn't get it out of the tin!  I wonder if
> the Pleyn Delit version would still be good but easier to get out of the
> container.  Any ideas?

You might want to take a look at this file in the FOOD-SWEETS-DECORATED
section of the Florilegium:
gingerbread-msg   (39K)  1/31/00    Medieval gingerbread. Recipes.

I can't remember if the messages in this file specifically address
how to get it out of the pan or not. But perhaps the other recipes/
redactions might be useful as well as the other comments on making
gingerbread.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net