SC - Waffles and Books

BalthazarBlack at aol.com BalthazarBlack at aol.com
Fri Jun 30 23:52:23 PDT 2000

In a message dated 6/30/00 10:58:48 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
stefan at texas.net writes:

> > However, there is a picture there that is intruiging...  "A dutch kitchen
>  > scene by Joachim de Beukelae painted in the 1550s" so there's this tray
of
>  > waffles, and a long handled waffle-iron like you could purchase for
>  > camping...  Didn't know waffles were period.  It doesn't look like
>  > pastilles (SP), just rectangles with a grid on it like a... waffle.  Do
we
>  > have any period recipes for the batter?

Oublie.  They sound very much like oublie, which, according to my references,
are both period and tasty.... The oublieux Guild was founded in 1270 in
France.  They are cakes cooked between two finely patterned iron plates.
Roll them into a cone, plop a knob of ice cream inside, and you may have one
of the greatest inventions since the ice cream cone...

Balthazar of Blackmoor