SC - Small Beer?

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Thu Jun 1 17:36:02 PDT 2000

<snippage of lots of good info about getting weak beer>

 > I have a recipe for a lemon-beer, three days, 10 lemons, some sugar, a
package of baking yeast, water, and voila!, you have a fizzy lemon drink,
not enough  fermentation to have much alcohol (and just how much is
another question, when does it cross that line and become too much to be
used for our purposes)  but just enough to be fizzy.

> Whoa!! invest in a better yeast, you'll taste a lot less yeast, and
> the finish will be crisper and more lemony.
> I've never like the results of using baking yeast in beverages...
> the results are usually cloudy and "bready"
> Brandu

Nope, the recipe very specifically states Fleishman's, and now that I
went back looking for it, guess who posted it?
Christianna

> Good Gentles,
>   Back in June, someone posted a wonderful recipe for a non-alcoholic
lemonbeer.  I have made it a few times since then and my shire has asked
me toinclude a bottle in the gift basket we're giving TRM this weekend.
> Unfortunately, I can't find the recipe!
>   Would the kind gentle who posted the recipe, or someone who archived
the post, please tell me if it was one cup of sugar or two.  I remember
the
> rest: 1 pkg yeast, 2 lemon, 1 gal water -- I just can't remember how
much
> sugar.
> Caterina

It's two cups of sugar. And it's also a good idea to use just plain old
Fleishman's Baking Yeast. I tried making it with Champagne yeast and it
came out bitter.

Glad you like the recipe.

Yers,

Gunthar