SC - Re: Aoife's Complaint

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Jun 2 05:17:24 PDT 2000

CBlackwill at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 6/1/00 8:15:04 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
> betpulib at ptdprolog.net writes:
>
> >  However, my husband is a prison official at a state institution
> >  that also houses the criminally insane, and I can tell you, I think the guy
> >  who posted this is pretty warped.
>
> Come come... I think the guy had his tongue (or someone elses) firmly in his
> cheek when he posted this essay (which, I still argue, was well written and
> quite humorous, so long as you KNOW it's not supposed to be serious), and
> that is that.  Notifying the authorities may be a wee bit presumptuous, don't
> you think?

I don't know. I do know that the post is part of an extensive web site
that advocates anarchy and mass-murder, among other things, as a way to
improve the quality of life for the survivors, and I really can't say
that it's not supposed to be serious. The article posted (I didn't read
it completely through this time, although I've read it several times
previously when it's been mentioned on the list -- in fact, I believe I
mentioned it first) is sufficiently well-researched, I believe, that if
the author has not actually committed the acts described therein, it's a
pretty good fake based either on medical dissection or more conventional
butchery. I have no doubt at all that the author is a criminal, or at
least demonstrably the committer of highly immoral acts; whether he's a
cannibal or not is almost irrelevant. No, I _don't_ know it's not
supposed to be serious, and believe that when it is dismissed as satire,
it is primarily because the dismissers are uncomfortable about it, and
would sleep better thinking it's just a fairy tale. I also know that it
doesn't have to be true to be damaging, and would bet a large sum of
cash that the author knows this as well as most of us do.

I don't know that I'd pursue this legally without additional evidence,
but I do feel the posting of the material here was wrong and ultimately
a hostile act. Tongue-in cheek? No evidence at all, other than willful
disbelief. I highly recommend Swift's  "A Modest Proposal" as a
counterexample of well-written satire on this topic.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com