SC - Chili Party

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Fri Jun 2 08:44:15 PDT 2000

> OK, that'll work. Plan on coming down for dinner Sunday evening. We'll be
> doing my Mumbledieth birthday (an excuse for a party, as if we need one ;-)
> on Saturday night, with the roast duck, so I'll be cooking the enchiladas on
> Sunday with the leftover duck

Sounds great! I'l try to be there.

>  Since I'll need the beans early that day to
> start cooking, I'd better rely on Christianna for them.

Well, if not then let me know and I'll bring some up.

> Dunno if this will help, and I'm not sure how you make your chili, but,
> while I usually make mine with beans, I've found out, over the years, that
> if I start with one pot with the meat and the base spices, then split the
> pot into two, one of which has the hot peppers (lots ;-) and the other of
> which doesn't and label them "Hot" and "Not", this allows the diners to mix
> and match their preferred blend of heat, while maintaining the basic overall
> flavor.

It's an interesting idea. The only real problem with it is that we mainly start

our cooking with the peppers and such. I may have to have beans in the chili
as an extender, I'll have to check prices. But I prefer chili with no beans and

some people cannot eat beans either. It depends on how much I have to spend.

I'll probably have the three chilis, a pot of beans for those that want them,
and on the side I'll have crackers (ick), sauces, cheese, minced onion and
jalapenios. Oh and probably corn chips or tortilla chips.

That's the plan so far.

I'm going to work on some fund raiser things for the party as well.

>  I have also made it with a
> basic meat (usually thin sliced steak, but frequently adding meats of
> opportunity, like pork, venison, chicken and lamb) chili,

The meat will be in equal portions of 1/2 inch cubes and coarse ground.

> with beans and
> rice on the side- and lots of cornbread.

I hadn't thought of rice. Maybe.
I love cornbread with chili but I don't think I'll be making it.
Maybe if someone brings a deep fryer I can make corn rockets.

> Let me know how things are looking for clean-up. Quite possibly, some of our
> people will be willing to help out the next morning, particularly if the
> assistance includes breakfast ;-) Have an interesting recipe for Frijoles
> Negros con Huevos, which would be no stress, and I'm sure I could make you
> some tortillas to go with- if you're interested, that is.

I would not subject clean-up of the chili party to non-Ansteorrans. We do have
a treaty to maintain y'know. But breakfast sounds good.

> Question for you- how do you make a meatless, beanless chili for the
> vegetarians?

The vegetarian will have beans.

> Phlip

Thank you for everything.