SC - kvas

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Jun 4 14:36:28 PDT 2000

Yana replied to Kiri on her questions about kvas:

> Yes, kvas is period.  As Stephen posted, you can find some more info in the
> Florilegium.  And your recollection is correct, kvas is lightly fizzy and
> has a little bit alcohol in it (although native Russians will swear on
> their mother's grave that it has no alcohol whatsoever).  There are no
> period recipes, but there are mentions of different types of kvas in the
> Domostroi (16th cen) and other SCA-period Russian sources.

If anyone has the time and a copy of the Domostroi around, I'd love to get
these quotes of different types of kvas for my kvas-msg file.

> I use a modern
> kvas concentrate to make mine, but only because I don't like the taste of
> kvas (sorry) and I don't want to make huge quantities of it.  I am sure the
> real way is better, but even the Russian cookbooks say to use the
> concentrate.

Do you know of any mail order sources for this kvas concentrate? I have
asian and mexican ethnic stores here, but I've not seen any with Russian
items. I recently found one selling stockfish and whole dried fish. I
bought two packets of the dried stockfish pieces but have yet to look
up the recipes in the Florilegium and elsewhere to try them. The three
foot pieces of dried fish were left for some other day. :-)

> This summer I will try to make real kvas and I'll let people
> know how it goes.  I would also like to invite you (and anyone else who is
> interested) to come to the Slavic and Eastern European Party at Pennsic and
> try some kvas.  I made a gallon last War and it went over very well, so
> I'll probably make more this year, maybe even the Real Stuff (TM).  Various
> modern recipes follow.

Do you know when this Slavic and Eastern European Party will be? I'm
trying
to pencil in my Pennsic schedule. I would like to try some kvas before I
try making some.

Thank you for the recipes.

Stefan
- --