SC - Kvas

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Jun 7 04:05:58 PDT 2000

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> I do question though whether raisins would have been used in this drink
> in Russia, at least by the peasants. Isn't it too cold in Russia to
> grow grapes? I imagine the nobility could have imported raisins, but
> would they have used imported raisins this way?

I'm not so sure the grapes (and the sunshine used to dry them) aren't
found in southern Russia. If you look at a map, you'll see that Russia
either borders on, or is fairly close to, Turkey, Persia, Afghanistan,
etc. The dynamics are different now that there's no longer a Soviet
Union, but not dramatically so in this instance, I think.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com