SC - Tripe

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 7 10:17:39 PDT 2000

Betty cook commented about

>At 5:10 PM -0400 4/22/00, Siegfried Heydrich rather rashly wrote:
>>...The aristocracy ate the more succulent muscles, and sometimes (rarely)
>>the
>organs, but something like tripe would have been beneath them.
>
>The following is from a cookbook which also has things like peacock
>roasted and served in its plumage, so would have been for the cooks
>of a noble household.
>
>Tripe de Mutton (Two Fifteenth Century Cookery Books p. 82)

The thing is, siggy, the aristocracy ate whatever was considered more rare
and valuable.  Organ meats spoil more quickly and are available in lesser
quantity than muscle meat, therefore, they are aristocratic food.

I recall reading in Food & Wine Magazine about 20 years ago (a subscription
was purchased with my first ever babysitting money in 7th grade) an
interview with or obituary about a food critic, a black man raised in the
Jim Crow era south.  Sometime in his career he'd had cause to note that the
rich and poor both ate innards, it was the middle class who didn't eat them.
The middle class was afraid of looking poor and/or confused by the french
names depending on the situation.

Bonne