SC - 90 ingredients Holloptrida translation

Sat Jun 10 05:16:34 PDT 2000

> <<The interesting point is the woodcut appears to be Meleagris gallapavo,
> the
> North American woodland turkey of U.S. Thanksgiving Day fame.  The turkey
> that was probably available at the time was the Central American turkey,
> Agriocharis ocellata, which was brought to Europe by Cortez.<<
>
> Bear,
>
> As I wouldn't know the difference, how would it affect our cooking?
> Size, taste, etc"

The woodland turkey is a game bird and, to my knowledge, not domesticated.
There are people who find them much tastier than the domestic turkey.  The
turkey you buy at the grocery is a Central American turkey.   For our
purposes, store bought commercial turkey is probably the best choice.

> Gwen-Cat or Thomas, do either of you know when the woodcut was made and
> added to Rumpold's book?  Is there evidence that the woodcuts are as old
> as the recipes?
>

> Regards,
> Allison,     allilyn at juno.com

Vincenzo Campi's The Poultry Seller (Cremona) is roughly contemporaneous
with Rumpolt's work (no more than 10 years difference) and it has a Central
American turkey rather prominently displayed in the woman's lap.

Bear