SC - Re: Help-Scottish recipes

allilyn at juno.com allilyn at juno.com
Sat Jun 10 10:01:07 PDT 2000

In the 16th C., there was a good bit of royal Scots/French interaction.
Perhaps a book of letters from Mary of Guise to her daughter, Mary Queen
of Scots had food mentions in them--sort of "This day did we eat of a
barbarous local dish yclept cock 'o leekie soup, and I do miss my good
French chefs" sort of thing?  Letters or diaries detailing things that
ambassadors or clergy observed about their visits?  The Spanish
Ambassador to England wrote a good bit about Elizabeth.

Are there bills of lading in Edinburgh, listing books imported, or taxes
paid on them?  Are there period paintings or illustrations in manuscript
margins, such as are found in the Luttrell Psalter?  Check out wills,
itemizing what books or manuscripts were left to family or friends.
Write to Curators at Scottish castles, asking if any of the manuscripts
survived from period in the noble family's library; ditto, state
libraries.

Regards,
Allison,     allilyn at juno.com