SC - Celtic recipes

Morgan Cain morgancain at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 11 05:55:04 PDT 2000

>  I am helping cook a feast in Nov. The theme is Celtic. Can anyone offer a
> source for recipes or references to the diet? Anything is much
appreciated.

Merald, is there any narrowing of "Celtic"?  I ask because there are seven
nations in the Celtic world:  England, Ireland, and Scotland are the most
familiar, but you also have Wales, Cornwall, Brittany, and the Isle of Man.
The last three are now, more or less, part of England, France, and Scotland
respectively.

Assuming you just want a general overview, look to the foods of Ireland,
Scotland, and Wales.  I suggest this only because England gets a lot of
attention for other reasons.  You have the recent discussion of Scottish
recipes for a start.  Wales is known for leeks, so cooking recipes that have
them is a start for looking.  I'm afraid I don't have much that is period
Welsh in my cookbookery, and some of my Scots is more "traditional" and less
likely to be helpful (buttered nettles - a little hard to find around here).

Now that you know the countries, that should help you get started.  Be
careful, if you are doing "periodish," that you don't accidentally include
New World items such as potatoes in your cooking.

                                                    ---= Morgan

My philosophy of life is that the meek shall inherit nothing but debasement,
frustration, and ignoble deaths . . .
     Harlan Ellison

One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making
exciting discoveries.
     A. A. Milne