SC - Question re. Cooks Guild badges

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sun Jun 11 19:31:45 PDT 2000

CBlackwill at aol.com writes:

<< Having just taken on the admin position for the Lochac Guild of Cooks -
 >  organizing a registered badge is on my "must do" list and I'd like to
find
 >  out if there is any "standard" symbol that is used to identify a cooking
 >  guild   >>

I don't think there is a standard badge that covers all the guilds. Our guild
(The Guild of St. Martha) has a standard badge of a black cauldron on a white
background. There are differing colored borders which designate the status of
the guild member (none, black, green, red equaling student apprentice
journeyman and master respectively). The cauldron itself can contain crossed
spoons, a loaf of bread,etc.(saucier, baker, etc., depending on your area of
expertise).

So far as the cooks list is concerned generally a salamander (specifically a
flaming salamander) is the symbol that we came up with early in the list to
identify list members to each other at events. I always have a large rubber
salamander hanging around the kitchen when I am Kitchen Steward. I think Dame
Aiofe has a rough draft of the cook's list badge at her web site. perhaps she
could give the URL to any interested folks.

Ras