SC - OT - Pseudo-Medievaloid Cookery Saves the Day

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Jun 12 03:25:23 PDT 2000

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Adamantius posted his directions for a hippocras spiced ice cream:
> > He'd make hippocras ice cream, of course, from the scads of leftover
> > ground hippocras spices he has lying around his kitchen! In keeping with
> > this idea, I located a pint of heavy cream and beat it up a bit with six
> > large egg yolks. I began stirring this up with my stainless steel mixing
>
> Interesting. Might be good with some peaches or such in it too. Please
> let us know how it turned out. Was the seasoning mix enough? I might
> want to try this sometime myself. But I think I will use one of the
> regular hand-crank or electric ice cream freezers.

Peaches? Maybe, but I suspect the thing to do might be to eat it with
wafers. Not necessarily rolled while hot into a cone, but you know --  .

Upon actually eating the stuff frozen, I think I'd up the sugar to 4
Tablespoons, and the hippocras powder, to two, possibly two-point-five,
Tablespoons. It didn't s*ck, though, and it was pretty mind-bogglingly
rich. The recipe made about three cups, which I suspect would serve four
or more.

I'm sure it would be easier to use a regular ice cream freezer, but I
find that there's a corollary between the labor saved by complex
machinery and the time required to take them apart and wash them.
Besides, I don't have such a machine, but I did have nesting
stainless-steel mixing bowls (not even the best heat conductors in any
case) and lots of ice, so I figured, what the hey.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com