Kitchens (was: SC - OT - Pseudo-Medievaloid Cookery Saves the Day)

Par Leijonhufvud parlei at algonet.se
Mon Jun 12 23:24:40 PDT 2000

On Mon, 12 Jun 2000, Laura C. Minnick wrote:

> Here's a question that'll open a can of especially fun, wiggly worms: If
> money was no object and you could have the kitchen of your dreams
> (either home or eventing), what would you do? How would you design it?
> What appliances would you have? What decor? I'm just curious, but I also
> want to see if a couple of my pet theories about cooks pan out...

Counterspace. On the order of aleph-two (square) meters.

Probably a six burner stove even at home, more capacity for events. Not
that one often run out of space when cooking at home, but... Make that
one of the AGAs, BTW. Oven capacity to match.

Walk in fridge and freezer. Possibly -- at events -- an ice mashine for
quick cooling capacity.

I'm not big on appliances, but for events some of the special stuff
could come in handy. I'm thinking of ovens with capacity for 10 cookie
sheets, "electric pots" with large capacities and fine temperature
control. One of *the* dishwashing systems. For home use a few more
normal things, but mostly the ability to purchase quality with *no*
though of cost would be nice.

I would definitely have a good cabinet for spices.

For camp usage I am much more modest: a stool to sit on, some sort of
table, a few pots, cutting boards, bowls, 2-3 wooden spoons, grater,
mortar, coleander[1], knives. I could deal with more stuff, but it would
feel wrong unless I was cooking for a larger group than I usually do in
camp (6-10) or with greater ambition.

I ordered a score of small pottery vessels after a 15th c pattern in
"spice jar" size, and will make some sort of transport chest that will
keep them safe and handy in camp. Perhaps one should also order suitable
flasks for vinegar, oil, etc?. And find a armourer who'd be willing to
make me pots after the original patterns.

/UlfR

[1] Found a steel one that -- once I removed the silly ring that allowed
it to stand on the counter -- looks pretty much like the metal original
I once saw a picture of.

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                                      parlei at algonet.se
If you know what you are doing it's not research.