SC - Re: dream kitchens OOP

Aelfwyn at aol.com Aelfwyn at aol.com
Tue Jun 13 10:34:52 PDT 2000

I was in what MUST be the Event dream kitchen this past weekend. We had
test-rented a new facility for a small local event. The place is Agassiz
Village, a camp in Poland, Maine. The main hall is a huge log building, 3
stories tall (open rafters all the way up) with a balcony on either end, a
small balcony in the middle and a large fieldstone fireplace across from
that. The Hall seats 350-400 diners. The kitchen is part of the same building
and adjoins the Hall on one long side (behind the fireplace). There is a sink
in the Hall next to the kitchen entryway. The kitchen entryway (okay, it's a
room about 15x30) includes a microwave, coffee pots, many beverage coolers
and a refrigerator. The wall between the kitchen and the Hall has 2 open
counter/pass through sections. One is a stainless counter (maybe 10 feet
long) leading to a sink leading to a dishwasher leading to about 30 feet of
stainless counter drying area. The other opening is about 15 feet long and
has a Formica counter. Behind this is the staging or ready area; a 10 foot
long counter with a setup where warming lights can be installed, a 6' high
warming/holding oven, a steam table, several wheel around serving carts and
an 8' high, 16' long wall of shelves holding all the serveware. There are 2
alley/walkways here so the staging counter is more like an island. The
kitchen proper is around the other side of that shelving wall. It must be
20x50 with 14' ceilings. And there are doublehung windows on 3 of the walls
that reach nearly to the ceilings. The kitchen starts with another microwave,
something called a turbo-toaster, a 10 foot long butcherblock counter, back
door with drive up and unload access, a home sized sink, a double set of
industrial sized sinks, a fryolator, a 10 burner gas range with 2 ovens below
and a major venting system above it and the fryolator, a stacked set of 2
commercial-type ovens, 2 Hobart mixers (the bigger one has the set of wheels
for the bowl to roll around the floor), 4 areas of about 10' each stainless
counters, a commercial convection oven, a deli-type slicing machine, another
6' high holding/warming oven, another door with drive up access, a table
against the wall that must be 4'x10', all the pots, pans, sheets, etc. to
make use of the toys, a walk-in freezer about 10x12, a walk in fridge with 2
separate doors, the kitchen's own phone, the floors are concrete with drains
but there are those rubber mats with the holes at nearly every work station.
Oh, and that fieldstone fireplace in the Hall has a fieldstone hearth that
would easily hold a dozen dutch ovens or what have you. I volunteered to do
our local Knight's first Coronation Feast (I'm thinking ahead a bit) if we
can use this site.
Drool mode off,
Aelfwyn