Kitchens (was: SC - OT - Pseudo-Medievaloid Cookery Saves the Day)

KallipygosRed at aol.com KallipygosRed at aol.com
Tue Jun 13 11:44:08 PDT 2000

In a message dated 6/13/00 8:39:29 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
UnruhBays.Melanie.A at broadband.att.com writes:

> I recently cooked in a kitchen that I consider (almost) ideal for a large
>  feast.
Okay, dear, and where was this marvel located? A pizza shop? Our feasts here
in Tucson (Tir Ysgithr) uses two main places, the Shrine Temple--which has a
kitchen downstairs, everything must be carried upstairs-- and the Unitarian
Church which we have used over and over. It has a very large kitchen, but not
extremely well thought out. Lots of counter space, but not really a lot of
room for many helpers...

I'm trying to figure out how to have the same sort of large, efficient
kitchen space for cooking outdoors at an event. It would have to be propane
driven, manual. We couldn't be guaranteed of any electrical or heat source
other than what we provide ourselves.

I saw a wonderful feast at the last Baron's War that was held in Tucson
(about 2 years ago, now). It was for 30 people, used only outdoor cooking
techniques; and was delicous and fabulous. We sat in a U-configuration and
the King attended. During the meal we had entertainers, etc. Lovely. It was
so intimate feeling and the food was all hot or cold as expected and nothing
went to waste. That's the kind of feasts I enjoy. I did coronation myself
with several helpers a few years ago. It was supposed to be 175 people and
ballooned to 375 people. I can't see how a feast, outdoors in primative
surroundings, can be accomplished without lots of headache in those
instances. But again, it is based on one episode.

Lars