SC - questions

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Tue Jun 13 21:07:55 PDT 2000

At 12:47 AM -0400 6/14/00, CBlackwill at aol.com wrote:

>The problem lies with the lack of extant period menus, and not the cook.  You
>cannot accurately recreate something you have never seen... There is a
>difference between creating your own menu using period reciepts, and
>recreating one which was used in period (and is documentable)

Which cuisine were you thinking of? Le Menagier provides lots. The
Anglo-Norman treatise of Walter of Bibbesworth gives a menu. _Two
Fifteenth Century Cookery Books_ gives some. Among them, those cover
the 13th-15th century English French feast pretty well.

Max Rumpolt gives menus. The 13th c. Andalusian cookbook doesn't
actually have a menu, but it has a description of what goes where in
a feast.

I would  expect menus to be about as easy to find as recipes,
although I haven't looked for them outside cookbooks.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/