SC - questions

CBlackwill at aol.com CBlackwill at aol.com
Wed Jun 14 10:04:35 PDT 2000

In a message dated 6/13/00 10:20:41 PM Pacific Daylight Time, phil at spis.co.nz
writes:

> I'd like to suggest a rule of thumb: if it's acceptable to attend the
>  event in jeans and t-shirt, then it's perfectly reasonable to have
>  obviously modern food. If a reasonable attempt at mediaeval clothing
>  is required, I believe we should expect the same standard for the
>  food.

This sounds good, but then we have to ask "who's idea of "reasonable" are we
talking about?"  I have done very, very reasonable attempts at medieval food
in the past, but would be willing to bet they would not fly on this list,
since none of them are "documentable".  Does 'reasonable' mean they have to
be extracted from the current body of extant texts?  If so, that doesn;t
sound reasonable, it sounds 'authentic'.  There are folks on this list who
will demand more than some are willing or able to give.  Let's remember that
everyone's level of interest in the SCA varies.  Some are in it for the
fighting, and don't care whether their hauberk is done with period
stitching... some are in it for the garb, and have no problem eating Sloppy
Joes at feast... etc...

Balthazar of Blackmoor

Mr. Wizard, what happens when you combine pasta and antipasta?