SC - questions

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Wed Jun 14 13:37:49 PDT 2000

Bal wrote:

This sounds good, but then we have to ask "who's idea of "reasonable" are we
talking about?"  I have done very, very reasonable attempts at medieval food in
the past, but would be willing to bet they would not fly on this list, since none
of them are "documentable".

This is a battle we've fought over and over several times here in Atlantia.  I
think most of us have settled on a main concern of making sure that the foods
that are cooked and served are period in nature...in other words, we try to avoid
anything that is blatantly out of period (like corn, potatoes, tomatoes, etc.).
We also try to make sure that things are cooked in a period manner.  However,
because many of us are still learning...and we don't want to make things too
difficult at first, we do more of a "periodoid" kind of thing.  As a cook
progresses, they learn to look things up in period sources, to read the early
recipes, understand what they are saying, and sort out how to prepare them.  It
is a learning curve, and not everyone can "hit the ground running".  Generally,
our patrons, those who eat our feasts, will try 'most anything, and are
sympathetic, for the most part, to our efforts to produce a period feast, or at
least one that is period in nature.  In my opinion, this is the "reasonable" way
to do things...and it applies both to garb and to food...and 'most everything
else in our Society.

Kiri