WAS: SC - questions

CBlackwill at aol.com CBlackwill at aol.com
Wed Jun 14 23:11:12 PDT 2000

In a message dated 6/14/00 7:56:56 PM Pacific Daylight Time, LrdRas at aol.com
writes:

> << Come on now, folks.  Are you
>   "sure" it isn't better to start them off with something they are familiar
>   with, and then gradually bring them further into the fold?  Seems like
this

>   would be a better way to deal with the "culture shock"...
>
>   Balthazar of Blackmoor >>
>
>  Nope. Never did that. Can't see as how it would be good for someone else
>  do that.
>
>  Ras

Teaching methods differ.  Some people react differently to different
techniques.  Contrary to popular belief, not everyone learns in the same way.
Case in point: my 8 year old son, Culhain.  He, like his father, is very
strong headed and stubborn, and has a problem "learning" when someone is
"telling" him what to do and how to do it.  However ( and thankfully he has a
very intuitive teacher who caught onto this early), when  he is allowed to
approach a subject from his own tack, he catches it without error, and then
goes on to expand upon the knowledge on his own.  I think this method is
useful for many people.  Rather than "telling" someone that they must do
something one way, I believe a better angle of attack would be to "encourage"
them to delve a little deeper on their own, and "suggest" resources and
references for further study.  Such as "while that is a very tasty Moon Pie,
you might take a look at this recipe for 'Lunar Lozenges' from Master
Maestro's 'Du Fait du Paris'.  They are very similar..."

Balthazar of Blackmoor

Mr. Wizard, what happens when you combine pasta and antipasta?