SC - Columbus' chilies

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Thu Jun 15 20:12:37 PDT 2000

Ah, a subject near and dear to my Lord's heart.  We found this same quote
in the "Columbus Menus", which was put out in 1992 for the 500th
anniversary of his 'discovery' of Hispaniola.  I don't have it to hand
just now, but further digging led us to believe that chilis were taken
back by the ship's doctor, and utilized as a medicinal before becoming
accepted as a spice.   I don't recall where we found this, (great
documentation, huh? ) but I will forward this on to him and we'll see if
we can't dig that info up again.
Christianna

===