SC - questions/kinda long, sorry

KallipygosRed at aol.com KallipygosRed at aol.com
Fri Jun 16 10:32:26 PDT 2000

In a message dated 6/16/00 8:47:26 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
JGedney at dictaphone.com writes:

> The best way to approach this is to make nummy period recipes, and
>  bring them to Potlucks, and dont say they are "period" until they are
>  eaten and enjoyed. You'll convert more when they have a happy
>  feeling on the tongue and in the stomach than trying to get them to
>  discuss it intellectually, cause people tend not to want to change their
>  rather hardly won first impressions.

Absolutely. I totally agree. That was the point I was trying to make, try it
in another forum besides the feast table **first**.  I never knew I was
capable of such lacks of clarity in my meaning, myself. Sorry.

>yes we should all think about the import of our words.
>And _your_ words may have had the effect of preventing some other newbie
>from ever approaching a peer or old-timer for advice, because you did make
it
>sound like all of us are going to ridicule and chastise them.<

Ow. Okay. Enough. I was speaking from my own experience as a newbie getting
into cooking and how I was treated. I have deliberately **not** approached
anyone new without first thinking how best to handle the situation of giving
advice since my own experiences hurt so much. I apologize again if I was
misconstrued. I know that none of us advocate the "Authenticity Mallet"
(great term, btw). I wasn't saying we did. I was backing up someone who said
about Balthazar, when Bathalzar was being debated, something along the lines
of, "What Balthazar meant was that we appear in some posts...."  I no longer
have access to that post on my system having been deleted by the system
itself. So, I can't pull it up. I was agreeing with her (and I should have
snip posted it, I realize now, to avoid all this confusion) that what we say
in an attempt to save bandwidth or space sometimes can come across as--at the
very least--curt and standoffish to people asking questions. And the same
applies with one on one communication in person in a verbal context. And that
those seemingly harmless insignificant comments, or intrepetations of
comments, can be devistating to a newbie who already is going to take
comments like that more seriously and more personally because they are
worried about "fitting in" to the game. I was just trying to point out an
area that creates miscommunication. Somehow, it didn't come out correctly or
was perceived incorrectly. I'm still trying to figure out how I could have
said it once without creating all this bruha.

Ah, well. Better next time when I have my next opinion. I hope.

Lars