SC - questions

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Fri Jun 16 10:57:44 PDT 2000

On Fri, 16 Jun 2000, Jenne Heise wrote:

> > That's where we should be and where we should be directing new people to...
> > IMO.  Why send them off to a source that might be inaccurate?
>
> About inaccuracy: presumably you can tell whether the source is
> inaccurate, if you read it and you know a lot about period food, yes? So
> you could tell them where it was inaccurate, or send them to a source that
> is accurate. I'm not asking about telling people 'go to the library and
> look it up', I'm asking about sending people to known sources...

Check out the notes and bibliography of the 'known' source. The more
primaries they use, the better your chances. And when you are talking to
people, a bright (not snarly or combative) "Gee! That's really
interesting! Where did you find the documentation for that? I'd really
like to look at that myself!" Most folks on the up-and-up, such as on this
list, will be happy to provide documentation. Those who dissemble you will
know not to trust...

just my two cents,

'Lainie