Authenticity, philosophy, and advocacy (was Re: SC - questions)

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Fri Jun 16 15:02:30 PDT 2000

In a message dated 6/16/00 1:47:12 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
CBlackwill at aol.com writes:

<< Again, if this were a job or a prison, rather than a simple hobby, >>

I think I can understand some of what you are saying and I suppose that there
are those that view it as a hobby. Truthfully, though to many the SCA and the
ideals it stands for is a way of life. At the very least it is an
organization, a community. All communities have set standards which they
expect from those who are a part of it. As members of a community each member
has certain obligations to every other person on an individual basis and
responsibility to the community as a collective. Freedom and anarchy are
completely different things. The former encompasses responsible behaviors
based on self-discipline or community need. The later is self-centered and
does little good for the community.

IMO, within the community a teacher has an implicit responsibility to teach
through word and deed without having to be asked to do so. Belonging to a
community implies a willingness to be taught. The methods used to teach and
the amount of knowledge absorbed are varied but the end result is a group
dynamic that makes for a better community.

Ras