SC - Re: SC PLATINA Date Pie long

RANDALL DIAMOND ringofkings at mindspring.com
Sat Jun 17 20:40:22 PDT 2000

In her notes Hauviette writes:
>>>***I wanted a deeper flavour to the icing than
 just what white sugar could give so I combined
these sugars. I also felt this was a closer attempt
at a period sugar that would have been more
commonly used than pristine white sugar (also,
pure white sugar was often noted when needed).
I chose to work with the Apothecaries scale for
weight  which makes a pound equal to 12 ounces
vs the modern 16. This choice was based on
conversations on this list specifically regarding
the Menagier ratios for hippocras I believe (out of
memory at the moment), but I have taken to being
liberal with that interpretation from the Menagier
to other period works. Feel free to comment
on this.<<<

I hope you accounted for the difference variance
in the weight of the ounce between the systems,
otherwise you are not using enough sugar!  The
systems varies more than just the number of ounces
in the systemic  pound.  The Apothecaries scale is
the same as the Troy scale, except that the Troy
has no scruples or drams.  12 ounces Troy or
Apothecaries = 13.165 ounces Avoirdupois or
conversely there are 14.58 Troy or Apothecaries
ounces in an Avoirdupois pound.  I usually convert
directly to grams in either system and calculate in
metric.  Most people don't have a clue about the
weight difference, especially when they are quoting
weights like sterling silver for sale.  They don't know
you can't measure Troy weights off a postal scale
and end up overvaluing their silver by about 10%
or so.   Beware of using unfamilar measures in your
redactions unless you have studied all the
ramifications of the standard.

Akim Yaroslavich
"No glory comes without pain"