SC - manual de mujeres #62,73-76 and a question about pans

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Mon Jun 19 14:47:30 PDT 2000

Carbon steel is what most good woks are made of, and you season them essentially
the same way you season a good cast-iron skillet:  you put some oil in it, swish
it around a bit to make sure it covers the entire interior, then let it "season"
in a 200 degree oven for about 30 minutes or so.  Once it's seasoned, wash it
always with very hot water.  If something sticks to it, a solution of salt and
oil can be used to scrub it off.  NEVER EVER EVER EVER use soap on it.  If you
do, you must season it again.  I have threatened the members of my barony, whom
I occasionally allow to use my wok at Pennsic, with loss of life and limb if a
particle of soap even gets close to my wok or my cast-iron skillet.

Kiri (who authorized long ago in coolie hat and fan! ;-)  )