SC - questions

UnruhBays, Melanie A UnruhBays.Melanie.A at broadband.att.com
Tue Jun 20 15:34:23 PDT 2000

<snip>

> You could do that, of course, but note that you are now talking about
> an especially fancy feast, not an especially authentic feast. People
> in the SCA often confuse the two issues, and end up arguing that they
> can't afford to be authentic when what they mean is that they can't
> afford to be fancy.

But I *am* talking about an authentic feast. What other kind is there? :-)
The concept is for "fancy", authentic foods. I have found that "authentic"
is no more expensive than "inauthentic". A chicken still costs $2.75 whether
you roast it and serve it with a period sauce, or you "southern"
deep-fat-fry it.
The point is to provide an authentic Medieval or Renaissance feast, that
includes things, features, and services that we don't commonly have the
resources or the interest to present. Like 24K gilded leaches, fantastic
subtleties, or expensive meats.
<snip>

Maredudd