SC - Columbus' chilies

Wed Jun 21 14:03:07 PDT 2000

Actually, what I was postulating was that the original malagueta pepper was
a member(s) of the species Amomum from the East Indies and was simply
replaced by A. melegueta as a plentiful and cheaper substitute.  This is
based on the OED reference which ties it to cloves and cardamoms with a 1214
date.  Cardamom was not specifically mentioned in this paragraph and while I
was equating grains of paradise and malagueta pepper, it is equally possible
they were not the same thing.

The OED reference dovetails nicely with Swahn's fair at Treviso.  Treviso
lies northwest of Venice, was a Venetian trading partner, and came under
Venetian control in the 14th Century.  Venice was involved in the Asiatic
spice trade and would later come to monopolize it.  While it doesn't rule
out West African spices, the spices at Treviso were most likely of Asiatic
origin.  Do you have any idea of the source of his information about the
fair?

Since, the OED does not reference grains of paradise with this same date, it
is possible that Swahn is using grains of paradise as a synonym for
malagueta pepper.  I do question his etymology for melegueta pepper.

As to the spice trade, the question is not so much whether A. melegueta
could have been available in Europe, but whether it could have been
available in commercial quantities.  Given the travel conditions between the
Mediterranean and the Niger Basin, I question that the markets of Europe
were supplied by caravan with A. melegueta in quantity.  Gold, being
imperishable, could be traded from point to point, as conditions permitted,
but perishable commodities require more expeditious delivery.

Do Swahn and Wilson provide any sources to support their statements that
grains of paradise came to Europe from West Africa prior to the Portuguese
navigation of the coast?

Being unfamiliar with Porta, why do you consider him an unreliable source?

Bear