SC - herbed wine/liqueur

Christina van Tets cjvt at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 25 15:35:57 PDT 2000

Okay, I've checked the Abelard reference and the herbed alcohol reference
_appears_ to be for wine:

'But if we abstain from meat, what a reproach it is to us if we eat
everything else to excess, mingle the flavours of pepper and spices, and
when we are drunk on neat wine, go on to cups of herb-flavoured liquor and
flagons of spiced drink!'

'The preparation of wine mixed with herbs for medicinal purposes or even the
drinking of neat wine is not to be forbidden, so long as the convent in
general never takes these, but they are drunk separately by the sick.'
(Abelard, Letters of Direction)

This sounds to me as though healthy people had been drinking some kind of
herb liqueur, though others may interpret it differently.  Any
thoughts/recipes?

FWIW, Abelard died in 1142.

Cairistiona