SC - The truth about Green Beans Savory

allilyn at juno.com allilyn at juno.com
Sun Jun 25 12:04:40 PDT 2000

I've been working, today, with Castelvetro, from his Herbs, Fruit &
Vegetables of Italy.  He published just post-period, but is recalling the
dishes served in his youth in Italy.  The author's note (Gilian Riley)
says that the beans he lists, other than the fava or broad bean, are new
world beans and goes on to list some of the reasons they became so very
popular in Italy.  They do appear to have been grown and used there
during the 16th C.

Castelvetro doesn't mention the savory cheese version for his green
beans, but he is stressing the simple, quality versions of the fruits and
veggies, as opposed to heavier, meat-rich meals in England

Broccoli, BTW, was not the headed variety we buy today, but the shoots
which grew from cabbage stalks left in the garden to over-winter.

None of which means I wouldn't like to eat green beans or modern broccoli
at feasts...

Regards,
Allison,     allilyn at juno.com