SC - Re: Kuskenole - was, Authenticity, philosophy, and advocacy

Diana tantra at optonline.net
Mon Jun 26 04:32:12 PDT 2000

Balthazar writes:
> Actually, parchment is animal hide as well.  The difference between vellum
> and parchment is merely a matter of which animal they came from (vellum, I
> believe, is sheep skin, and parchment is calf skin.  Or, it could be the
> other way around.) I have a very nice sample of actual parchment sitting
on
> my desk in front of me.  It is in it's raw state (unburnished, unscraped),
> and just waiting for me to tackle it.  Modern parchment is paper...but the
> real stuff was hide.

The funny thing is that nowadays I found sorta real parchment - in a very
nice 'art' store in NYC - I think it was Lees.  They told me it was made
from elephant?  All I can say is that I used it for calligraphy practice and
was able to scrape the lettering and everything else from the sheet with an
exacto with no problems.  I may remember more when  my brain starts to
function later on this morning.

Diana d'Avignon