SC - hypoglycaemia

Elysant at aol.com Elysant at aol.com
Mon Jun 26 20:41:49 PDT 2000

- -Poster: Elysant at AOL.com>

> << A prolonged
>  hypoglycemic episode can cause heart and  organic brain damage.
>   >>

> A prolonged hypoglycemic epiosde can cause death.

Both of these statements are true, BUT but almost all people who suffer from
hypoglycemia learn to recognise their own signs and symptoms of when the
sugar drops and it becomes so uncomfortable it becomes the number one
priority in their lives to rectify the situation.

I get it myself, and know when my vision starts going, I get shaky, get a
gnawing uncomfortable sensation in my stomach, and/or a blinding headache,
and get grouchy - and I haven't eaten in over 4 hours that I need to stop and
eat something NOW.  Usually it takes about 20 minutes to start forgetting the
symptoms again.

If you can recognise the symptoms and take action, the problem can be
resolved quickly and easily.

I tend to take more smaller more frequent meals, and when travelling or
eventing, usually take along a snack - usually cheese and wholewheat crackers
- - in case I get busy or it creeps up on me.  A trick I learned years ago when
presented with a "hypoglycemic diet" by my doctor. :-)

Just as with a diabetic, if a hypoglycemic ingests "empty" carbohydrate
calories they are just going to quickly skyrocket their bloodsugar and then
it will plummet  to potentially even a lower BS.  Adding a protein as was
mentioned prevents this as it evens out the absorbtion and lasts longer in
the system.

Other choices to eat as a hypoglycemic snack would be something like peanut
butter on celery, or a glass of skim milk and a light sandwich on whole wheat.

One last point.  Usually, in my experience, it has been a diabetic on insulin
or an oral  hypoglycemic who has not taken sufficient food against that
medication and the medication is still working to lower what ever sugar is
there that causes the coma and potential death situations.  Usually, from
what I have seen and experienced, this does not happen with people who suffer
from hypoglycemic episodes who are not diabetics.

Elysant
also mundanely an RN