SC - Cucumber with cinnamon

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Tue Jun 27 20:37:35 PDT 2000

And it came to pass on 27 Jun 00,, that Nina Lisa Tomlinson wrote:

> The dessert I made was extremely simple (which is why I remember it):  you
> slice a cucumber, arrange on a dish, and sprinkle with cinnamon
> sugar.

I have obviously not yet had a chance to check the book at work, but I
did find the following recipe on a website belonging to the Richard III
Soceity of Canada at http://www.cgocable.net/~tbryce/recipes.html

Canel Cucumber

2 large cucumbers
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. sugar

Cut washed cucumbers into 1/4" circles. Mix cinnamon with sugar, and
place mixture in a salt shaker. Shake cinnamon sugar onto each
cucumber round. Serve.

The source of this recipe is not listed, but I observe that several of the
other recipes on the same page are slightly adapted from ones in
"Fabulous Feasts", and I see one (Swithin Cream) that I think I
remember from "Medieval Holidays and Festivals".  Others are labelled
as being adapted from such sources as "Pleyn Delit" and "Sallets,
Humbles, and Shrewsbury Cakes".

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann