SC - hypoglycaemia

WyteRayven at aol.com WyteRayven at aol.com
Wed Jun 28 11:28:09 PDT 2000

I have had an incident here at work that I believe was due to hypoglycaemia.

I have somewhat low blood pressure, and have always had trouble with nearly fainting when I stand up. One morning a few months ago I was at work and stood up quickly to go to the printer. I found myself having the worst blackout period that I have ever had. I went completely blind, lost all sense of time and hearing. I found myself racked with something that must be similar to a small siezure. All the muscles in my body were contracting and then letting go repeatedly. I retained my feet, but just barely. I remember that my mind was still working....but I had no control and my concentration was trying to not to fall down. When I could see and hear again I noticed that I must have staggered around a bit, because all the papers that I had tacked to the walls of my cube were torn down. I was very disoriented, and had no idea how long I had been "out".

I dont think that I have ever been that frightened in my life. It was all I could do to keep the tears at a controllable level. I just wanted to bawl.

I have Kaiser, and asked a doctor there about it when I went in for an appointment ( I did not go to the doctor that day, I was too frightened to go) and she said I was probably hypoglycaemic. She didn't make it sound like much of a problem, and in fact just brushed off the incident. Hearing about the possible things that can happen with hypoglycaemia, I am now a little more worried and a little unsure of what to do if that happens again. I dont remember having much, if any, warning. I was dieting, but not as hard as I have in the past.

Ilia