SC - Re: Roman Recipes LONG

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Jun 28 22:29:45 PDT 2000

Hauviette commented:
> Gwyneth writes:
> > Now, how would the vender have served
> >  it?  Did everyone just bring a bowl and cup to eat and drink from to the
> >  baths?
> Probably had a cup of their own (guessing here)
> Paper is out of the question, but what about plant material? Like leaves to
> wrap the food in?

Except when we were talking about dolmas here a while back, no one could
point to any evidence of them being done that way in period. Or any other
foods being wrapped in leaves and cooked. Can any of our new list members
give some evidence of this? Or of leaves being used as serving/eating plates?

The dolmas info can be found in this file:
grape-leaves-msg  (19K)  5/26/99    Use of grape leaves in cooking. Sources.

> Or flat bread to wrap the food in- the original souvlaki, falafal, gyros
> sandwich etc. Even food like barley can be served in bread bowls.

And when we discussed bread bowls further back no one could point to
bread bowls being period as food containers. Anyone have any evidence
for this being done in period, now?

> Just a suggestion.

Thanks. I think these flat breads are the most likely.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net