SC - Re: [sig] Polish medieval cooking

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Jun 29 23:45:42 PDT 2000

> > It might be worth trying to contact either the editor or the original
> > translator to see if you can get a copy of the translation of Dembinska's
> > version and not have to bother with translating it yourself.
>
> I've tried. (I'm sure there are plenty of citations in the original: it
> was Dembinska's PhD thesis.) The editor/author does not respond. I'm
> almost mad enough to go to the NEH, which paid for the translation, and
> try and get them to get the translation released. *grr*

Hmmm. I'm curious why you didn't get a response. I believe it was
someone on this list who did write the author (the translator, not
Dembinska, as she's dead) asking about wafers I believe. They got
a reply much quicker than I would have expected one and the author
seemed quite helpful.

I believe the message quoting the author can be found in one of these
two files in the Florilegium:
wafers-msg        (46K) 10/ 8/99    Period savory and sweet wafers. Recipes.
  (in FOOD-BREADS. I think I still have some info to go into this file
and thus that particular message may not be there, yet)
fd-Poland-msg      (7K)  9/ 9/99    Food of period Poland. Referances.
  (In FOOD-BY-REGION)
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net