SC - Kuchenmeysterey, post 1.

Thomas Gloning gloning at Mailer.Uni-Marburg.DE
Fri Jun 30 12:49:18 PDT 2000

<< I would love any comments or suggestions you might have. >>

First, thanks for beginning with the translation; it is a very important
text that was printed over and over againg for the next 200 years (from
around 1485 unto 1690). It would deserve a _complete_ translation ;-)

<< Das erst teil ist vo faste speis. >>

The _o_ in _vo_ and the _e_ in _faste_ both have a bar over the letter.
This is an abbreviation sign, which in this case should be expanded as
_von_ and _fasten_

Only minor changes suggested:

Jtem wiltu wurst von fischen machen. so schuppe sie vnd hack sy klein.
stos sy in einem morscher thu wurtz. saltz dorczu. full dy dermer vnd
seud sy ab als fisch mit wein vnd mach ein gelbs pfefferlein daruber.

Item.  To make sausage from fish.  Scale it (the fish) and chop it.
Bray it in a mortar. Put spices and salt thereto. Fill the casings of
the sausage (with this mass) and cook them like fish with wine, and make
a yellow peppersauce to it. (yellow = with some kind of yellow spice)

_seud_ belongs to _sieden_.

<< or else dermer is being used for darm. >>

yes, it is an old plural form.

<< Throughout the recipes un is used interchangably with und >>

Look for the bar above of the _vn_ (in certain cases, _v_ is used
instead of _u_).

<< So, the next installment will probably be Monday night.>>

Very good!

Let me add, that we have the whole text of the Kuchenmeisterei edition
of 1490 transcribed (Christian Heuer and myself); we are working on the
proofs now; the whole thing should be on the web this year.

Best,
Thomas
(Next week I will be off in Switzerland for some days).