SC - Happy St. David's Day!

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Wed Mar 1 07:15:42 PST 2000

I am snipping *heavily* from Master Adamantius' well-worded reply,
since I only want to add a small comment or two.

And it came to pass on 1 Mar 00,, that Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> For example, my nemesis, cuskynoles (awright, everybody
> just keep it down, now) are a pasta package filled with fruit and nuts,
> eminently period even if one does shape them, um, unorthodoxly. They're
> dough, filled with fruit and nuts, boiled and then grilled. What's not to
> like? Can you honestly point out something wrong with this period dish,
> other than that it is period? Could it be that it is a boiled pasta
> functioning as what we might think of as a dessert? Pasta for dessert?
> Yeccch! But not unprecedented by many, many modern cuisines.

Sweet noodle kugel.  Boiled fruit dumplings.

> And pepper would not be a problem in a dessert (a concept, BTW, largely
> unknown in medieval European cookery) if used properly.

Modern Germans (amongst others) seem to think it tastes just fine in
pfferneuse cookies.  And there are various other recipes for spice
cookies and cakes that include a small amount of pepper.  I found these
examples, BTW, in "Cookbook USA".  It's a CD-ROM compilation of
thousands of community cookbooks, the sort that are sold to benefit the
school building fund or the church ladies' auxiliary.  In other words,
these are recipes used by ordinary modern Americans.

> Adamantius

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann