SC - Re: (Gunthar's Challenge)

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Wed Mar 1 14:41:00 PST 2000

Hi, Sieggy

Perhaps you should have mentioned the blood. But of course unless the
meat has been butchered in a kosher or halal manner, it *would*
contain blood anyway, so what's the problem? After all, gravy is
mostly blood.

>  It's ludicrous that someone who gulps at the notion of a sauce
>containing blood will chow down on a 7-11 hot dog without a second thought.
>(Bright thought - if you start off every morning with a 7-11 hot dog,
>nothing worse can happen to you the rest of the day!)

Yeah, what goes into "lunch meat" would make a lot of folks "lose
their lunch" if they knew about the "parts".

>I doubt very seriously
>that many of those who turned green would have batted an eyelash at sopping
>up the blood flowing from a medium rare steak with a dinner roll. What's the
>difference?

Indeed, as you point out, most people have no trouble eating "meat
juice" But just try to tell than that the brown liquid that comes out
of their beef and is the basis for gravy is at the very least part
blood and watch them squirm.

I've mentioned it and watched people blanche. It wasn't an
intentional mind-f**k on my part. I thought they realized it. After
all, unless it is kashered, it's only logical that meat contains
blood.

>     And lest you think I disagree with your points, I don't. Enough people
>were upset at the mere thought that I haven't done anything like that since.

That's too bad. Sounds like you made a good feast.

I am no longer a vegetarian, although i eat mostly vegetarian food. I
thought it was hypocritical when last year voters in California
rejected a measure that would allow horses to be legally sold for the
purpose of being slaughtered for meat (IIRC, the slaughtering would
take place out of state and the meat would not be sold within the
state). It is quite obvious that the vast majority of voters do eat
meat. How are horses different from cows or sheep or pigs or other
mammals that they slow gleefully eat? Either don't kill any of 'em,
or eat 'em all. But why let sentimentality or irrational
squeamishness enter into it?

Anahita al-shazhiyya
remember, "al-shazhiyya" means eccentric