SC - Feasts in Trimaris

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Wed Mar 1 11:09:10 PST 2000

At 10:34 AM -0500 3/1/00, Robin Carroll-Mann wrote:
>I've been checking through the Spanish sources, since they seem likely
>to contain late-period pumpkin recipes.  the trouble is that the Spanish
>word for pumpkin "calabaza" also refers to various gourds and
>squashes.  I did find one recipe that looks promising.  It's various ways
>of stuffing calabazas.  The first variation calls for scooping out the
>insides of the calabaza, and filling it with a mixture that includes ground
>veal or pork, bacon, cheese, eggs, raisins, spices,  small chickens, and
>stuffed pigeons.  Is there anything in the cucurbita family that's large
>enough to accomodate this assortment, other than a pumpkin?

Why are you limiting yourself to the cucurbita family--all of whose
members are, I think, New World. _The Four Seasons of the House of
Cerruti_, which predates the discovery of the New World, shows large
edible gourds, presumably Lageneria Sicereia (sp?). Given how wide
the range of size is in C. Pepo, I wouldn't be surprised if there
were lageneria big enough for what you describe, but I don't know.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/