SC - period pumpkin recipes?

lilinah@earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 1 18:29:48 PST 2000

In a message dated 2/29/2000 6:25:40 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
Bronwynmgn at aol.com writes:

<<
 Because I'm not sure how much the alcohol would cook out just frying them in
 oil in a frying pan.  I don't imagine they'd cook very long.  I have no
 problem with serving kids things like brewets or other long-cooking items
 that have wine in them, but I'm wary of things that cook quickly, like this.

 If I did make it with the wine, I would feel obliged to make sure that a)
the
 parents knew there was alcohol in it, and b) that it hadn't cooked very
long,
 so that they could make an informed decision as to whether they should feed
 it to their kids.

 Brangwayna >>

The apple frittour recipe I posted earlier calls for ale and ale balm.  When
I attempted it the first time for the article, I warmed the ale gently to
just above skin temperature, then cooled it to around 90 degrees and added
yeast.  Heated this way, the ale loses much of it's alcohol content.
However, if you really do not want any alcohol at all in the finished
product, (no matter what it is) be sure not to add any yeast, do not use any
sour dough starter, do not allow any pastes, doughs, or batters made of wheat
or cereal products to sit out for more than a few hours, do not use any
prepared vanilla extracts, or any flavoring extracts, do not add any ripe
fruits, do not even use simple syrups, in fact, do not use any sugar (because
I have seen even sweetened ice tea ferment), do not use any aged sauces.

Mordonna the Cook,
SunDragon's Western Reaches
Atenveldt
(m.k.a. Buckeye, AZ)