SC - Period pumpkin recipes

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Wed Mar 1 20:52:35 PST 2000

At 07:08 PM 3/1/00 -0800, Wanda Pease wrote:
>Gunthar Said:>
>
> I don't think I've seen a single time when someone was taken
>> on the field and beaten as a challenge of honor. There has been
>> once or twice
>> when, during a tournament they were hit a little harder or deliberately in
>> a tender spot as a reminder of proper behavior but never an "armor up
>> varlet" sort of thing.
>>
>> Sounds more like SCA urban legend to me.
>
>>snip<
>
>I've seen and heard a knight issue a challenge to a non-fighter for
>insulting the knight's female.  The insult?  The gentleman had the
>misfortune to be the third person to be asked by the autocrat to request
>that the female and her clique please smoke somewhere besides the entryway
>to the main event hall.

*snip of remainder of a good example of a bad challange*

> At that point
>I called upon the Royalty, and had a household member who was also a mundane
>lawyer point out this was something like assault with threat of battery.  It
>took that plus threats of a Court of Chivalry to make this knight give up
>the dream of beating an older man and non-fighter into a pulp on the field.
>
>Regina Romsey

This is a good example of challanging at its worst, and why it upsets
people. The example I mentioned... was nearly a decade ago, but if I
remember correctly they were both fighters, and either friends or household
brothers. At the end there were no hard feelings that I know of, and
everyone sat down and finished dinner together. Sorry that I can't remember
names after so many years. I should start an SCA Diary. (No shit, there I
was...)

As I am not part of a household (I hear some have rules on their members
issuing challanges), am not a fighter, and do my best not to offend anyone,
it's not been an issue for me.

Then again, until taking this retainer position I was never out of the
kitchen long enough to offend anyone.

Jehanne 'I-don't-know-your-name-but-I-always-see-you-in-the-kitchen' Argentee

;)