SC - Re: Alcohol in food (RANT)

Mordonna22@aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Wed Mar 1 21:09:07 PST 2000

Uh, conch comes out of conch shells- they're a sea snail, very common in
Florida, and frequently given away by people collecting and cleaning conch
to sell the shells to tourists. Unfortunately, in some areas they're
considered a bit of a pest, and are frequently ground up with coral for
landfill and pretty driveways.

The meat itself is very tough- if you'd like conch chowder next week, start
it simmering tonight, in order to tenderize it. Beating it with a hammer
doesn't help, although I have wondered about borrowing blacksmithing
friends' power hammers.....It does have a very nice fishy flavor (not the
nasty, too old seafood flavor too many of us have suffered from,) and makes
a wonderful broth, either alone, or with vegetables or other seafood.

I like it, but it does help to know what you're doing with it.

Phlip

Nolo disputare, volo somniare et contendere, et iterum somniare.

phlip at morganco.net

Philippa Farrour
Caer Frig
Southeastern Ohio

"All things are poisons.  It is simply the dose that distinguishes between a
poison and a remedy." -Paracelsus

"Oats -- a grain which in England sustains the horses, and in
Scotland, the men." -- Johnson

"It was pleasant to me to find that 'oats,' the 'food of horses,' were
so much used as the food of the people in Johnson's own town." --
Boswell

"And where will you find such horses, and such men?" -- Anonymous