SC - Enough with the endless Trimaris email!!!!!

Korrin S DaArdain korrin.daardain at juno.com
Wed Mar 1 22:11:42 PST 2000

At 6:39 PM -0500 3/1/00, N. Winter wrote:
>>Anyone who wants to learn to do
>>period cooking can find extensive primary and secondary sources
>>online, can join the cooks list and ask questions of other people who
>>have been doing it for a long time
>
>An excellent idea!
>I just started with period cooking and bought Pleyn Delit. I cook
>for 8 normally I tend to lean towards one pot meals over an open
>fire when we are camping. Can someone suggest a period cook book
>that would have mostly stews & soups?

I'm afraid not; I don't think there is one.

As we have discussed on this list at the past, "stew" in the standard
modern American sense of meat cooked in a thickened liquid with
substantial amounts of root vegetables or something similar, doesn't
seem to exist in medieval European cooking. At least, I don't think
anyone yet has offered any examples. There are closer things in
Islamic cooking. Soups exist, however, including some very
substantial ones.

If you look through the webbed Miscellany, you will find some pretty
good things for one pot meals.

David Friedman
Professor of Law
Santa Clara University