SC - Scungilli versus conch

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Mar 2 04:06:44 PST 2000

david friedman wrote:

> At 11:27 PM -0500 3/1/00, B. M. Crumb wrote:
>
> >There are a lot of period recipes out there that can be prepared
> >substituting other liquid for the booze, beer and wine in them
> >that still taste great.  Okay, so it won't be perfectly period if
> >you are looking at an *exact* reproduction of a primary source
> >recipe... but a GOOD cook will find logical, good tasting ways to
> >make that adaptation.
>
> I'm puzzled. Why would you want to take a period recipe that used
> beer and make it with something else, thus getting something less
> likely to be what was made in period, instead of simply choosing to
> avoid choosing period recipes that have beer (or wine) in them? It
> isn't as if eliminating the recipes which use alcohol seriously
> reduces the range of recipes available.
>
> David/Cariadoc
> http://www.best.com/~ddfr/

I do a lot of the non-alcoholic recipes in my own cooking.  It's
the other Cooks who are running the feasts who don't want to be
bothered finding some of them and adding them into their menus to
account for some members dietary restrictions that's the
problem.  I'm not saying the cooks on this list do that... but
I've met many in my years of SCA activity who have refused to
take religious dietary restrictions into account when planning
their menu.

Bernadette