SC - Gulf Wars Challenge

Alderton, Philippa phlip at morganco.net
Thu Mar 2 09:16:18 PST 2000

As I am new to this list, and may have missed part of this thread, please bear
with me:

I am interested in knowing how those people that have dietary restrictions
(either voluntary or medical) deal with food service in the mundane world?

>From my experience, most feasts served in the SCA follow what is termed in the
food service industry as "British style service". This is to say that meals are
served "family style" with diners sharing platters of food. This differs from
what is termed "American style service", where each meal is plated individually
and for the most part, preapred individually.

With the constraints of large events and feasts, most groups that I know of
could not even conceive of individually plating food. Especially since we offer
so many removes during the typical feast. So we resort to the "family-style"
option.

So my question again is: How do those people with dietary restrictions conform
to those restrictions when they go to a banquet setting like a wedding or
special reception?

Lord Sean O'Faolain
AEthelmearc