SC - Scungilli versus conch- OP

Decker, Margaret margaret at Health.State.OK.US
Thu Mar 2 12:50:59 PST 2000

>  One family I know had a child about 25 years ago that was diagnosed as
> ADHD or something like that and was given medicine for it and it didn't
> help.  So the mother did some 'alternative' research where she found that
> someone thought food additives such as nitrate and BHT, etc were causing
> the sort of problems her son was having.

I can support your friend's story with my direct experience.
My son has a Corn (maize) products allergy, and when ever he ingests it,
he gets the classic behavioral symptoms of ADD with Violent Hyperactivity.
(The big clue for me was that he has perfect eyesight. Most of the ADD kids
I see have associated eye problems.  Also he has athsma, which is another
marker.)
It is a visible and almost instantaneous change, like a "Doctor Jeckyll and
Mister Hyde" transformation. Takes only three seconds. he turns pale and
ashen, dark circles form under the eyes, and his ears trun bright read and
hot. and he gets violent and whiney. these are classical symptoms of his
kind of allergy. And this kind of allergy is hard to diagnose in a typically
"clinical" setting. It does not cause Hives or wheezing, or the other
"classical" symptoms. It was not until we insisted that Robby be tested that
we were proven right. The result was a "very severe allergy to corn".

The big problem for me is the American (Industrial) food system's rampant
dependance on corn products.
Corn, Corn starch, ( and Confectioners sugar has 3% Corn starch, Baking
powder has 5%.) Corn Syrup, Corn Syrup solids, High Fructose Corn syrup,
Dextrose, Dextrin, sorbitol, maltodextrin, Et cetera, ad infinitem!
All made from corn. and in about every AMERICAN processed food!
Hell, a lot of fried foods have dextrose sprayed on to make them brown
up nicer!!
So I do a lot of home cooking (even make the candy canes for the tree
each year!) and I read more label than ever I realized I would.

The book to read on behavioral allergies is "Is this YOUR child?" by Doris
Rapp, MD.
That book saved my son from a _lifetime_ of _misprescribed_ drugs!

The book has instructions on how to perform a "Double Blind, Placebo
Controlled, Elimination study" which is the definitive way to diagnose
these things.

If you suspect your kids, at all, get this book.

Brandu