SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #1938

Marian Deborah Rosenberg Marian.Deborah.Rosenberg at washcoll.edu
Thu Mar 2 12:57:09 PST 2000

- --- You wrote:
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 22:00:27 -0500
From: Jehanne Argentee <jehanne at netzero.net>
Subject: Peppercorn icecream? [was: Re: SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #1928]

At 12:01 PM 3/1/00 EST, you wrote:
>--- You wrote:
>
>If High table wants to drink iced tea or tang... fine. They'll do it out of
>period goblets and no one need be the wiser. If a cook realizes that
>preparing a dessert with pepper will make it taste 'odd' or unpleasent to
>the modern palate, let them leave it out. We're talking about feast here,
>not ArtSci entries.
>
>--- end of quote ---
>
>B-but, a dessert with pepper tastes *wonderful*.  Surely you've had
peppercorn
>ice cream before?  Or habanero pepper ice cream.  The hot and the cold and
the
>milk blend together wonderfully!
>
>-M

I don't know if I'm up for the habanero ice cream if its firey-hot... I'd
be willing to try the peppercorn icecream if you care to share the recipe?
- --- end of quote ---

Unfortunately I don't have exact recipies for either.

Both are ordinary vanilla ice-cream with the spice in them.

I would assume just adding the peppercorns rather than say cherries in your ice
cream maker.

I've always had pepper ice cream at resteraunts and have only had it two or
three times.

The habanero ice cream was firey hot but the heavy cream ice cream nullified
this effect into a pleasant buzz.  It was made at the Philcon Hot Luck Party in
a hotel ice bucket using dry ice, lots of heavy cream, milk, and chopped
habanero pepper and stirred vigourously by volunteers.  I seem to recall some
ordinary black pepper also being in that but I might be wrong.